[CsMain] Mac VersionŠ
Lunney Family
2001-01-16 19:47:41 UTC
Hi guys,

We are wondering when it will possible to develop a game with CS
on our G4 with Mac OS 9.
These are our problems:
1: Problems in engine.
We don't care if there are errors in our code (and there will be a
lot)
but we don't like the fact that there are inexplicable errors when
compiling. Could this just be a problem with our CodeWarrior setup?

2: World editor.
Is there a working editor for Mac? MazeD has errors.

3: Stability.
How long till Mac stability?

Sorry to whinge,

John :)
Wyatt Miler
2001-01-17 08:59:23 UTC
Post by Lunney Family
Hi guys,
We are wondering when it will possible to develop a game with CS
on our G4 with Mac OS 9.
1: Problems in engine.
We don't care if there are errors in our code (and there will be a
lot)
but we don't like the fact that there are inexplicable errors when
compiling. Could this just be a problem with our CodeWarrior setup?
The mac port should build out of cvs at this point, but that's about as
far as it goes. I'm using a clean install of codewarrior 4 with the
latest
universal headers (you can get these from apple.com, just search the site).
Post by Lunney Family
2: World editor.
Is there a working editor for Mac? MazeD has errors.
No. It's on my todo list to work on that.
Post by Lunney Family
3: Stability.
How long till Mac stability?
I don't have an answer for that at the moment. Hopefully the mac port
will be equal in stability by the end of the month (that's what I'm
shooting for in any case).
Post by Lunney Family
Sorry to whinge,
It's ok, just remember none of us are full-time volunteers on
this project. Unfortunately both myself and Robert Bate have been
overworked in our paid jobs to work on CS very much. I don't know
off the top of my head if r.bate is even planning on showing back
up in the near future.

My todo list looks like this:
1) Get the walktest app fully running with the mesh plugins
2) Carbonized the port
3) get all other apps upto speed
4) work on mac-related issues with MazEd

Course, I found out today, that I'm likely to have off-site
training for 1-2 weeks in March, and school off-site for
most of April. So....we'll see :)

- Wyatt -
John :)
Matthew
2001-01-17 14:58:26 UTC
Post by Wyatt Miler
The mac port should build out of cvs at this point, but that's about as
far as it goes. I'm using a clean install of codewarrior 4 with the
latest
universal headers (you can get these from apple.com, just search the site).
It wont to compile w/ codewarrior 6 Mac. I know this is a volunteer effort
and that there arent many Mac programmers on the list so Itll be a while
before the Mac version gets ironed out.
Post by Wyatt Miler
Hello everyone,
Im trying to get CS compiled on my Mac. I have a G4 / OS 9 / MWCW 6. Im trying
with both the latest "official" release and with the "bleeding edge" release.
When I open the project files it converts them to CW6 project files - and when
Project updated from file "Shared_Library_Updates.xml" in (Project Updates)
directory. Make sure you have UseDLLPrefix.h as a prefix file.
Project entry "MSL RuntimePPC++.DLL" renamed to "MW_MSL.PPC.Shlb" in target
"WalkTest" of project "Walktest.mcp"
Project updated from file "Shared_Library_Updates.xml" in (Project Updates)
directory. Make sure you have MW_MSL.PPC.Shlb or MW_MSL.AltiVec.Shlb in your
project.
Project entry "MSL C++.PPC.DLL" removed from target "WalkTest" of project
"Walktest.mcp"
<<<
Error : object 'mkdir(const char *, int)' redefined
libOverrides.cpp line 211 {
Error : undefined identifier 'unlink'
archive.cpp line 616 unlink (temp_file);
Error : undefined identifier 'getcwd'
util.cpp line 145 getcwd (outname, sizeof (outname));
Error : illegal implicit conversion from 'const char *const **' to
'char ***'
MacSystem.cpp line 297 argc = GetCommandLine( &argv );
Error : ambiguous access to overloaded function
'std::pow(float, int)'
'std::pow(double, double)'
'std::pow(float, float)'
'std::pow(short, double)'
'std::pow(unsigned short, double)'
'std::pow(int, double)'
'std::pow(unsigned int, double)'
'std::pow(long, double)'
'std::pow(unsigned long, double)'
'std::pow(long long, double)'
'std::pow(unsigned long long, double)'
radiosty.cpp line 1017 val = pow(val, 2.0) * 0.98f;
The ambiguous access error doesnt look like it should be an error (I know C -
but im just now trying to learn C++ and OOP in general) - so maybe its CW's
problem. Changing the line to read val = pow( float (val), float (2.0)) *
0.98f; fixes it for me.
The mkdir error I think has to do with us Mac folk needing our own mkdir
function since our paths are different. Using #ifdefs and whatnot to comment
out the original function in the original headerfile (stat.h in MSL Common C)
stopped that error message - but I dont know if it just creates more hidden
trouble.
Some paths cant be found. Im assuming that these are directories that arent
being used anymore - but havent been taken out of the mwcw projects - and I
<<<
I of course got a mountain of errors, which I promptly ignored - but one stuck
out to me.
Warning : possible unwanted ';'
cseventq.h line 70 { while (SpinLock) ; SpinLock++; }
<<<
To me this looks like if SpinLock is non-zero then the code freezes
permanently during the while (SpinLock); loop. I know I must be wrong - but
can someone tell me why?
Has anyone gotten the latest versions of CS to build on MWCW 6 Mac - and if so
what am I doing wrong?
thankyou,
Matthew
Wyatt Miler
2001-01-17 17:18:37 UTC
Post by Matthew
Post by Wyatt Miler
The mac port should build out of cvs at this point, but that's about as
far as it goes. I'm using a clean install of codewarrior 4 with the
latest
universal headers (you can get these from apple.com, just search the site).
It wont to compile w/ codewarrior 6 Mac. I know this is a volunteer effort
and that there arent many Mac programmers on the list so Itll be a while
before the Mac version gets ironed out.
I just upgraded to CW6, and I ran into most of these problems. So they
are
being worked on, tho I'm still trying to figure out just what all is
different
between the two versions of the compiler.

<snip>
Post by Matthew
Post by Wyatt Miler
The ambiguous access error doesnt look like it should be an error (I know C -
but im just now trying to learn C++ and OOP in general) - so maybe its CW's
problem. Changing the line to read val = pow( float (val), float (2.0)) *
0.98f; fixes it for me.
The mkdir error I think has to do with us Mac folk needing our own mkdir
function since our paths are different. Using #ifdefs and whatnot to comment
out the original function in the original headerfile (stat.h in MSL Common C)
stopped that error message - but I dont know if it just creates more hidden
trouble.
<snip>
These errors are all CW6.0 centric, it doesn't show up in CW4 (which
till yesterday
was what I was using).
Post by Matthew
Post by Wyatt Miler
I of course got a mountain of errors, which I promptly ignored - but one stuck
out to me.
Warning : possible unwanted ';'
cseventq.h line 70 { while (SpinLock) ; SpinLock++; }
<<<
This is normal. Ask Jorrit for the reason (I forget).
Post by Matthew
Post by Wyatt Miler
To me this looks like if SpinLock is non-zero then the code freezes
permanently during the while (SpinLock); loop. I know I must be wrong - but
can someone tell me why?
Has anyone gotten the latest versions of CS to build on MWCW 6 Mac - and if so
what am I doing wrong?
Nope, not yet :)

- Wyatt -
Post by Matthew
Post by Wyatt Miler
thankyou,
Matthew
Eric Sunshine
2001-01-18 20:11:52 UTC
Post by Matthew
It wont to compile w/ codewarrior 6 Mac. I know this is a volunteer effort
and that there arent many Mac programmers on the list so Itll be a while
before the Mac version gets ironed out.
You might be interested in knowing that there are actually two different
Macintosh ports of Crystal Space. The one you choose depends upon your
particular requirements.

First, there is the older Macintosh ToolBox port which is based upon
pre-Carbon technology. This is the port which you are trying to compile with
CodeWarrior. Unfortunately, Robert and Wyatt don't seem to have much time
these days to devote to the port, so it is not as well maintained as we would
like. In general, it is also less functional than other ports. Because
this port is based upon pre-Carbon technology, it is suitable for MacOS/9,
but will not work on MacOS/X. However, as Wyatt announced in his previous
letter, one of his goals is to make the port Carbon compatible. When/if this
is accomplished, then this port will work with MacOS/X.

Second, there is a port for Macintosh which is based upon the new Cocoa
technology in MacOS/X. This is the port of Crystal Space which I created and
maintain. Historically, this port has been highly functional and very well
maintained. Howerver, because this port is based upon Cocoa, which is new in
MacOS/X, it will not work with earlier versions of the Macintosh operating
system. This port of Crystal Space is actually known as the Apple/NeXT port,
since it also works with the older NeXT operating systems (from which the
Cocoa technology was adapted). At this time, this port does not build
cleanly on MacOS/X, but I am currently in the process of resolving the issues
which prevent it from building. I expect to complete this task a few days
from now, at which time it should be possible to build (and hopefully) run
Crystal Space on MacOS/X.

-- ES
sim
2001-01-18 21:07:22 UTC
Do either of these ports currently support the Velocity Engine in the G4's?
Will they support it? It would be nice.

sim
-- ES
Matthew
2001-01-18 21:46:11 UTC
Post by Eric Sunshine
Second, there is a port for Macintosh which is based upon the new Cocoa
technology in MacOS/X. This is the port of Crystal Space which I created and
maintain. Historically, this port has been highly functional and very well
maintained.
thats fantastic. It also makes sense. Classic Mac OS has a ton of cruft
which must make it tough as hell to program around compared to modern OSes.
Making linux code work on OSX/Cocoa/Darwin/BSD/etc... probably isnt nearly
the same jump.

What do you compile it with? Project Builder? Code Warrior? GCC?

thanks Eric
Eric Sunshine
2001-01-18 22:39:24 UTC
Post by Matthew
Post by Eric Sunshine
Second, there is a port for Macintosh which is based upon the new Cocoa
technology in MacOS/X. This is the port of Crystal Space which I created
and maintain. Historically, this port has been highly functional and very
well maintained.
thats fantastic. It also makes sense. Classic Mac OS has a ton of cruft
which must make it tough as hell to program around compared to modern OSes.
What do you compile it with? Project Builder? Code Warrior? GCC?
The Apple/NeXT port is currently built in the same fashion as all other
Unix-based (or Unix-like) ports using the GNU makefile system and gcc. Both
of these tools are available for MacOS/X as part of the Developer Tools
package from Apple.

Building the package will be as simple as launching the Terminal application
and invoking these commands:

make macosx
make -k all

In the future, it might be reasonable to supply Project Builder project
files so that the resources can be built from within the Project Builder IDE,
however experience has shown us that such project files tend to become
quickly outdated. One solution to the problem of keeping Project Builder
files up-to-date would be to adapt the mechanism I recently created for
automatically re-building Visual-C++ project files. This mechanism runs
automatically and ensures that the project files are synchronized with the
rest of Crystal Space. (Unfortunately, SourceForge recently broke a portion
of the auto-repair mechanism, so it doesn't occur as regularly as it should,
but the mechanism is still viable.)

Finally, please note that I do not actually have access to Macintosh
hardware. Therefore, although I am doing the work of adapting the Apple/NeXT
port to MacOS/X, I can not actually test the result of my labor on that
operating system (though I can test on the earlier NeXT and Apple platforms).
For testing of MacOS/X, I will have to rely upon the Crystal Space
community.

(Thanks to the offer of a kind gentleman who was interested in a MacOS/X
port of Crystal Space, I did have command-line access to a MacOS/X machine
for several days, however he is now in the process of relocating, so his
machine is no longer available to me. During the time that I had access to
MacOS/X, I was able to do sufficient research and testing to determine what
changes to make to the Apple/NeXT port in order to adapt it for MacOS/X.)

-- ES